Memorial Day is an important time for Americans to remember our veterans and those who have served our country. It is also an opportunity to honor those loved ones who have gone before us.
Memorial Day was originally created as a day of remembrance for those that were killed while fighting in the Civil War. Today, however, the holiday is used as a day to honor all Americans that have died while serving our country.
For Americans, Memorial Day also signifies the official beginning of summer. We hope the weather will be warm and we can gather with friends and family to barbecue and celebrate. On Memorial Day we can also take a moment to honor those we have lost during times of war.
Here are five great ideas for things we can do around our home and towns to celebrate Memorial Day:
1. Thank A Veteran - While Memorial Day is a time for remembering and honoring our fallen soldiers, it's also a wonderful time to thank those soldiers past and present who are right here in our midst today! Thank them for all they have done to protect our country and our freedoms. Check out: How To Thank Veterans For Their Military Service.
2. Participate in a National Moment of Remembrance - The National Moment of Remembrance, established by Congress, asks Americans, wherever they are at 3 p.m., local time, on Memorial Day, to pause in an act of national unity for a duration of one minute.
3. Attend a Parade - Townships and cities throughout the country will hold parades, carnivals and similar events to celebrate Memorial Day. You should be able to find information for local events in your local newspaper.
4. Display the flag - Whether you choose to fly the stars and stripes or the POW/MIA flag to honor prisoners of war and those missing in action, you can find information on how to display the flag on Memorial Day from the Department of Veterans Affairs Guidelines for Display of the Flag.
5. Wear Memorial Day poppies - Red poppies are traditionally worn on Memorial Day in honor of those who died serving the nation during war.
Wherever you are this Memorial Day, there are local events to honor the sacrifices of the men and women who gave their all in defense of our country. Find out what's available and do your part to honor their service.